Sunday, August 9, 2015

WonderFil Threads - InvisiFil 100 Weight Polyester

I love WonderFil threads.  They are a Canadian company and I have been buying their products since I first saw them at International Quilt Festival in Houston.  I love to do a lot of micro quilting and often use their InvisiFil 100 weight polyester thread for this.  I have all the original 6-pack colors.  Clearly, it's a thread addiction!


Since this thread is REALLY thin, I wondered what it would look like for blanket-stitch applique.  I found that I needed to make a few adjustments to work with InvisiFil.  First, I switched from my regular needle, a size 80 microtex needle, to a size 70 microtex needle since the thread is so fine.  Second, I adjusted my top tension from the usual 2.0 to 1.5.  Last, I found that if I didn't put the thread through the very last guide above the needle it worked better.  You can see this in the picture below:


I stitched this entire flower with different colors of InvisiFil.  I really enjoyed working with it.  When using it for blanket-stitch applique it is definitely a thin line created (remember I do double blanket-stitch), single blanket stitch would be even thinner.


The other thing I learned with this block is that I have to be careful when placing pieces.  I was using my lightbox to put the pieces down, but if you look at the two green petals you can see the amount of gray fabric showing between them and the light blue fabric is different.  This bothers my eyes.  I replaced one piece (the gap was even bigger before), but next time I really have to make sure to check that before I fuse them down!

I can't wait to try out some of my other WonderFil threads!

Suzy

No comments:

Post a Comment