So I started drawing. I decided right away to make a butterfly instead of a dragonfly. This is the body that I started with. I decided it was traditional and boring and erased it completely.
Then I tried drawing one with a curl for a head and a elongated curl for a body. Then I drew in some curls and dots for the winds. It's okay, but I didn't love it. So I erased the wings and tried again.
Next I tried long S shapes and curls to make the upper and lower wings. It's okay, but I don't like the lower wing.
So I erased the lower wing and thought about making it a dragonfly, but in the end I still wanted a butterfly.
I used the window and traced the left wing so it was exactly the same as the right wing. I decided that the perfect symmetry really didn't suit this more organic butterfly.
Now I felt I knew what it needed. Similar wings, but not symmetrical. Here is the final design:
I think the antennae will have to be either quilted or embroidered. I like that it turned out whimsical and kind of modern. I am thinking I will either quilt the design and then paint it in or applique it. Fun for later!