Next, I carefully placed my pieces on the striped batik so that I got as many stripes as possible across each piece. I did this on top of a light box so I could see through the fabric to see where the stripes were.
Now I had the butterfly shown below.
Now it was time to pick the fabric for the body of the butterfly. I started with the dark purple shown below. It's so dark it's almost black. I was sure it was going to be the perfect choice. However, once I'd cut out the pieces I felt it was too dark.
Back to the drawing board and time to test out new ideas. I laid fabrics on top of the butterfly wing pieces to test out which fabric I liked the best. Here are a few of ideas.