You can see in the first two pictures layers two and three. Layer two was the green stem and Layer three was the big blue piece at the bottom of the flower. If you look at the photo of the back of the block you can see that the stitching I used for the green stem was quite large. However, I used a blanket stitch that was really small for the bottom blue flower piece. Since the blue piece had such a fun print I didn't want to take away from that with larger sized blanket stitches.
You can see here that I used a larger sized blanket stitch again for the second blue flower piece I added. I decided that since the fabric was fairly solid I really wanted the stitches to show up. This was a little challenging around curves, but I'm learning how to make it work for me. I think the easiest thing is to do a wide width (the stitch will come into the fabric quite a ways) and a short length so that the distance between the stitches isn't too great. This makes it easier to turn corners and do valleys.
Here is the finished back of the block. Now that its done I can tear away the stabilizer.
Here you can really see the different sized blanket stitching I did in the flower. I am really having fun changing up the sizes and plan to do a lot more of it! It's just one more way to add more interest and variety to your applique blocks.
And here is the final block from the front! I absolutely love the pot fabric and I'm glad I decided to keep the flower in matching colors. I had to line the light blue piece in the center of the flower with two layers to make sure that the dark fabric behind it didn't show through. This is called shadowing and it's a pain when it happens, so I always think about it when I'm planning my block to try to prevent it.