Monday, March 21, 2016

All Fired Up - Part One

I am literally all fired up to be an Island Batik Ambassador!  So, it seems fitting that my second quilt for them, a miniature, be called "All Fired Up" after the line of fabrics called Fire Island.


I received all these beautiful black fabrics above.  Black isn't usually my color in my quilts though I do wear a ton of black and white.  I was scrolling through my Facebook feed thinking about what I wanted to do when I saw a picture of a traditional pumpkin seed and/or orange peel quilt.  I knew it would really showcase some of these black fabrics.

However, I can never do anything the easy way, so I had to adapt it somehow and make it my own. So I went into Electric Quilter 7 and started playing.  Here are the four designs I came up with:





I decided on the third idea above because I really liked the circle in the center.  I figured out I needed 40 of the orange peel shapes.  I knew there was no way I was going to be able to draw 40 of those leaf shapes and have them come out symmetrical.  So what did I do?  I called my mom.

My mother is also a quilter and she happens to have an ink-jet printer.  I don't, we have laser.  I knew that I could put my favorite Steam-a-Seam 2 through an ink-jet printer (no laser because they heat it!) and get symmetrical shapes.  I simply cut 1/2" off the 9" inch wide sheet of Steam-a-Seam 2 and it went right through the printer without any troubles!  I will definitely be doing this again.


I knew I also needed a grid on my background fabric to help me align the leaves so I drew one with a white iron-off marker that would come off when I ironed on the pieces.


Once that was done I started putting on the pieces!  It was so much fun.  I knew I needed a little more light to see the white lines on the yellow fabric, so I found a great new use for my LED light box:


 Here is the progression as I added more pieces!





Come back on Wednesday to check out the next step!
Suzy

7 comments:

  1. Your post got my interest. It looks beautiful. Will be back for sure. Your techniques detailed here are things I'll try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post got my interest. It looks beautiful. Will be back for sure. Your techniques detailed here are things I'll try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great way to show off those fabrics. It's very striking. I have never used steam-a-seam before. do you just iron it to your fabrics then cut around the shapes, then heat bond it to the background? In my latest project I used heat-n-bond for the first time, and I can imagine it is something similar. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You stick steam a seam to the fabric and then cut out the pieces and stick them on where you want them. Then you iron them down .

      Delete
  4. This is going to be a beautiful piece Suzy! Love your layout!

    ReplyDelete