I am having so much fun mixing black and white prints in with my favorite batiks! They add a whole new sense of geometry to my flowers.
Here is flower number two. I was fortunate in the way I layered pieces to be able to put so many of them on at once. I really like the busy orange/peach and purple batik I used in this flower. I've owned the fabric for a long time, but never have been able to use it before. I think it's really fun and it works in this flower. I used that fabric to pick the rest of the colors for the flower.
If you look at the back of this flower, you can see that I've been playing around with the size of my blanket stitching. This particular flower has really tiny stitches on the outside edge of the flower, larger ones on the inside in purple. And I used huge stitches on the red on the bottom of the flower. It's fun to vary and play around with. If I was doing this on multiple blocks I'd have to make sure to write down what size I was using where!
Here's the front of the block all finished. I debated for a long time about whether or not to use this black with the dots in lines. I tried out a few other prints, but none of them thrilled me either, so I went with it. I am happy with the finished product.
And a last glimpse at the back. I used mostly Glide thread for my blanket stitching, but oddly didn't have black or white so I used a rayon Sulky instead. The rayon didn't like going through all the layers of fusible on this quilt, but I didn't have any trouble with the Glide.
I hope you get to quilt today!