Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Christmas Ornaments or Quilt

The American Quilter's Society, publisher of my recent book Folk Art Quilted Traditions, asked me to join them in doing a blog post for their blog!

I decided to have some fun with Lumiere paints.  I have used them many times.   They're metallic and oh, so fun.

I started by drawing an ornament shape on freezer paper.  I then cut it out and ironed it down to some black fabric.  I used a foam paintbrush to apply the paint.  After it was dry I pulled off the Freezer paper.


I then layered the ornaments and started quilting on them.  I used a gold polyester thread because it's easier for me to work with than metallic thread.  Eventually I decided to use a range of other colors too.


After quilting the designs on each ornament I stitched close to the edge so when I cut them out they wouldn't fray.  You can see that I did some simple swirls or stippling below.


I used a blue thread in the bobbin so you can see that I didn't do a real large area.  About 1/4 inch away from the edges all the way around.



I then cut the ornaments out about 1/8 of an inch away from the edge of the ornament.



Finally, I sewed some black skinny rick rack to the top of the ornaments to make them easy to hang on the tree.


Now I wanted to make a quilt using this technique as well, so on one piece of black fabric I stenciled three ornaments and quilted them.  I then quilted it using my Curly Cogs quilting design.


I knew I wanted a little more sparkle in the quilt, so I added gold rick rack in the binding for a little extra punch!  I bought this rick rack on a whim last summer and I was sure excited to finally have something to use it on!





I blog four times a week (Monday-inspiration, Wednesday and Saturday about projects, and Free Motion Fridays!) and I'd love to have you join my Machine Applique Adventures Facebook group!

Many thanks to the American Quilter's Society for sharing my blog today!  Be sure to buy a copy of my new book from them!



I hope you get to quilt today!  
Suzy




1 comment: