Saturday, February 17, 2018

Island Batik Ambassador's Mini Love Challenge

When I found out that the theme for February's Island Batik Ambassador Challenge was Mini Love I knew I wanted to create a quilt with hearts that overlapped.  After much drawing I ended up with this design.  I love the way the final quilt came out



I started with this pink frame.  I have learned by experience that pulling off all the fusible backing at once on a shape like this is a BAD idea.  It will stretch and distort since it's so thin.  


So I pulled off one corner and stuck it down.



Then I pulled the next corner and stuck it down.



Then the third corner.



And the last corner.  Nice and symmetrical.



Next I added the red hearts. 



After stitching those pieces I added the pink/purple hearts.



Now it was time to quilt!  If you follow my blog, you know I have a problem with over quilting.  I love to free motion quilt and this piece is no exception.  I started by doing a wavy grid in the center and in all the pink/purple hearts.




I then decided it needed an echo around the motif so that there was some space for the eye to rest.  



How to fill the rest?  FEATHERS!  My favorite. 


I added a red binding and all done!  I love the way the hearts and the feathers glow in this piece.  Such fun.  And thank you to Island Batik for providing the amazing fabric as usual!  And to Aurifil Threads for the amazing white thread 2024 50 weight.  It makes the feathers sing.  

Did you notice how much those feathers stand out?  WELL....Hobbs Batting has a new batting coming out soon called Tuscany Supreme 100% Natural Cotton.  It's thicker than ever and wow do those feathers stand out!  I was lucky enough to get a sample in Houston and it's FANTASTIC!


I hope you get to quilt today!
Suzy

9 comments:

  1. Oh, it's beautiful, Suzy!! Love your quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilting really is lovely in this, and thanks for the batting recomendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I love the layers and your quilting is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!! Not overquilted at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. This is marvelous. The quilting is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Suzy! I've used the 50 weight Aurifil and love it, now I want to try that batting! I have worked on skinny applique shapes with fusible backing and know exactly what you mean!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous. Thanks for the tip about the frame and applique.

    ReplyDelete