Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Stitching on Paint Block 5 and Some Thoughts

I've missed a few posts lately!  It's been crazy busy around here.  The end of the school year is always like this.  Add in that as a teacher, my district has still not settled it's contract with us teachers (333 days I've worked without one now....) and the picketing (never though I'd do that, let alone do it twice!) and other union events and blogging has gotten away from me. 

I am committing to be back at it today.  Quilting is good for my soul.  It calms and relaxes me even when I'm totally overwhelmed (like now).  We have 8 days left in the school year as I write this.  I can do it.  Then my body and soul get to unwind and I can relax a little...with my two boys running around?  Okay, maybe not, but it'll sure be a nice change.  I'm ready for summer and swimming and spending time at the lake.

I managed to finish my last entry for International Quilt Festival Houston and get it in two days before the deadline (yay!) and I'm feeling a bit lighter having that accomplished.  I'm ready to get back into some projects like this one....

This block so reminds me of fall.  It has those classic leaf colors.  



This orange area was a little darker than I wanted it to be.  What to do?  I decided to try using a lighter color thread instead of my usual darker color thread.  I love the results.


I did an echo to help add visual space and then did a bubble trail down the center spine of the leaf with an echo around it.



For the central frame I did a series of arches.  First the outside and then teh inside.


It creates a nice secondary pattern of curvy stars in the middle.



And the back.


Here's the back side of the whole thing!



I hope you get to quilt today and thanks for listening!
Suzy

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for the contract headache, Suzy. Hope you are soon full into fun, relaxing summer days! Your quilting is lovely!

    ReplyDelete