Saturday, September 19, 2015

Creative Block meets the Borders

Stuck.  That's how I am feeling!  I have been trying unsuccessfully to figure out the borders for this quilt!  I know I want to incorporate either the flowers or the Hawaiian design I used in the center of the quilt.  So I've been laying things around the edge looking at it:







The problem:  I don't like any of them.  So I put the basic idea in to Electric Quilter 7 and started playing around:





I kind of like the triangles above, but it still doesn't feel right.  I have doodled and doodled and doodled.  Stuck.  Stuck.  Stuck.  




Finally, I started thinking about traditional applique borders.  I knew that they often had swags, so I started playing with that idea.  Below is what I came up with.  It has the Hawaiian motifs connected by dots!  Finally, I was excited!


It took me a week to go through all these thoughts and possibilities.  Sometimes I have to remind myself to be patient, the design will come!

Suzy

No comments:

Post a Comment