Saturday, November 14, 2015

Appliqueing the Unexpected Tablerunner

I have been trying out all sorts of new things on this blog.  This time I decided to focus on changing up the size of the blanket-stitch on this block since there are only 4 different pieces.  Each color was done in a different size blanket-stitch:

If you look carefully, you can see the difference in scales.  The dark blue in the center is done in a 1.4  mm wide and 1.4 mm long stitch.  The light blue behind the dark blue is 2,0 mm x 2.0 mm blanket-stitch, my usual size.  The pale lavender dots are 1.8 mm by 1.8 mm blanket-stitch.  I was a little nervous to do the dark purple curves because I decided to stitch them in a 2.2 mm by 2.2 mm blanket stitch.  It was really fast to stitch because the stitches were so long, however it did come with it's challenges.  Going 2.2 mm into the fabric meant that when I got to the points the stitch would've gone beyond the fabric and over onto the background.  I angled the stitches in a little more to make sure they stayed on the purple fabric and it worked like a charm, but I had to remember to do that at each point.

Overall, I am very happy with the different sizes of stitch.  I think it adds a little more interest to the block and I want to play more with vary sizes of stitch.


No comments:

Post a Comment