Saturday, November 28, 2015

Beginning Blog Quilt #3 - A Rainbow

I know, I know.  I'll work on a title.  But it's hard to do when you're in the middle of the process and don't know what it will look like complete.  I started with a long skinny design.  You can see the shapes below.

I knew that I wanted to play with a rainbow of color so I cut each piece out of eight different solid fabrics.  They're luscious Michael Miller Couture Cotton solids.  They have a nice high thread count and are my favorite solids to work with.

I then took the 8 pieces and gradated each column.  Since I used eight fabrics, I ended up with eight columns of color.  Now, I have to decide how to arrange the columns.  Here are some possibilities and my thoughts on them:

I like this.  If you look at it sideways it looks like a color tree....or so my husband says.  I wonder if it's too close together.  I also think it would be hard to align this perfectly on a background.  You'd have to draw a grid and be really careful it was straight or it would bother your eye.

I definitely like the shape that this gives with moving the columns up and down.  However, which the color changes I don't think it's as effective as the design above.

I like this design too.  The  columns are moved up and down, but with a lot less variation.  However, the colors still seem off and don't flow together like they do in the first picture.

If  you look in the middle of the right side at the cornflower blue shapes you can see that I tried to align them next to each other.  I don't like this effect either. It seems jumbled.

Here I tried spreading the shapes on the left further apart.  Not my favorite either.

Here I made the center dots go in a wavy line.  I like this effect the best so far.

This is another variation of the wavy line version.

Right now I am leaning towards either the top or bottom picture.  I haven't decided yet.  I'm going to work on appliqueing down all the pieces and then play some more!

Suzy

No comments:

Post a Comment