Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Flower in a Pot #7 - The Quilting

I love free motion machine quilting.  It's so fun.  With my Flower in a Pot Quilt Along I've decided to do a different kind of feather for each pot.  Pot #7 is what I would call a hammer feather because they remind me of the hammers that hit the strings inside a piano.  There's a diagram of how to stitch them at the end of the post.


After I stitched all the feathers using the pot as a spine, I outline the feather tips once.  I like to do this because it lets the feather motifs pop out even more.  Then I did some straight line swirling ( a new stitch for me that I'm trying to master....where better than on a border?!) to get to the edge of the quilt.  
If you look at the picture below, you can see that the bottom of my feathers go almost to the edge of the quilt, but the top of my feathers don't stretch out as far.  I wish I'd marked a rectangle on the quilt before quilting it so I knew where to stop.  Lesson learned for next time!  




I've also been trying out different batting combinations in these little quilts as test samples.  More about that once the quilt along is done.

Here is the drawing for creating this feather.


Come back Saturday for the pattern for Flower in a Pot #7 and don't forget to share what you're creating in my Machine Applique Adventures Facebook Group!

Happy Quilting,
Suzy

2 comments:

  1. Wow Suzy, your work and quilting is amazing! Thank you for the drawing of how to create a feather, I will have to bookmark it for when I start my free-motion quilting journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime! I love drawing feathers. They're addictive.

      Delete