Wednesday, July 20, 2016

A Shadowing Problem

I've been working on a little applique project and am having a blast, but have encountered a shadowing problem.  Shadowing is when the fabric underneath the top layer shows through and you can see a hint of color from below.


So look at the picture above.  See the large orange petal?  Okay.  Now, look closely at the edge of it closest to the red rim around it.  See how the orange is darker in those spots?  That's shadowing.  Huh.  Now the question is how to fix it.


The first thing I decided to do was to layer a second piece of orange fabric over the problem.  This helped a lot.


If you look at the orange above you can see the problem is solved with the orange.  However, when i added the yellow I had the same problem.  I double layered the yellow and it is still a problem!  What to do?  I really didn't want to add a third layer since this isn't a show quilt, so I decided to stitch the yellow in a really wide blanket stitch so it wouldn't show so much....


If you look at the picture above you can still see a rim of red near the yellow.  I decided that no one would notice this except for me.  It's not a show quilt, so I'm okay with it.

Here's another picture of the quilt in progress.


Come back Friday to check out my Brick Wall Free Motion Quilt Along!  And Saturday to see how I quilted this quilt.

I hope you get to quilt today!
Suzy

5 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful with all the stitching in there anyway. I don't think anyone without a microscope would notice it. =) It adds definition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True about the microscope. I guess I am just really picky

      Delete
  2. I think you were creative in finding a way to solve your shadowing problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shadowing can be such a pain, and I know that it is something a quilt judge will notice, for sure. The top is pieced for the brick quilt, but major computer issues thwarted my plan for getting the backing ready and the quilt basted. Looking forward to your quilting post tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete