I decided I liked Leah Day's approach and went with it. I also happened to be in an art gallery as I was starting to ponder this challenge and I saw a three panel painting. I knew that's what I wanted to do. Make three panels and then stitch them together QAYG style. It turned out well and I would do it again having successfully survived the experience.
Here's one of the three panels all quilted up. In looking at it from far away now I wish the green was a little stronger, but such is life. I must admit I did not make a pattern for these flowers (shocking as I usually do). I just free cut petals and leaves. The extra curl I cut out from the bottom of the stem ended up at the top of the flower and me being me, it needed a few dots.
After following Leah's method I decided to do a blanket stitch on my sashing strips. I used a different machine than I usually do for blanket stitch and found that I should go back to my usual as I'm used to how that one does blanket stitching. Next time.
I was trying to decide what color to use for sashing. People kept telling me to use green. I decided it was too much contrast and went with a lovely blue.
I also decided that the quilt needed more red so I added some really fat red rick rack I found at my local quilt shop. It's the perfect addition. A tutorial on how to do that will be coming next week.
And the final quilt!
I hope you get to quilt today!