How did I already get to ten of these lovely flowers?! Wow. Here is number ten. If you look at the orange striped batik in this block you can see that I stitched across between the petals. I knew that a darker piece was going to cover that so I did it to make it easier on myself.
The back of layer 1
The front of layer one. I love the shape of these leaves!
On this little quilt, I used the same motif, a teardrop surrounded by a three bump feather and then outlined. What I changed however, was what I put inside the teardrop. I challenged myself to change up the inside every few motifs and came up with all sorts of interesting things some of which I like better than others. Take a look. You'll find all sorts of things including curlicues and curls and bumps and triangles and....
It was so much fun to play! I hope you get to quilt today! Suzy
I did the blanket stitch the other way! What a revelation. I realized that if I put this light yellow piece on top of the blue, it would show through, so I decided to put it underneath and do the stitching onto the blue. I like how it looks kind of like a candle flame.
Here is the flower part of layer 1
And all of layer 1
And the back. There was a thread bobble with the bobbin thread, but it didn't affect the front, so I left it.
I love flowers. I can't resist taking pictures of them. Here are a few I took at the local park the other day.
I adore this flower. It has little yellow bits at the ends of the petals. I wonder if the cone originally had petals too. I'm not sure, but it sure is cute. It looks like it's wearing a tutu doesn't it?
Found this in the bathroom at Bear Patch Quilting Company in White Bear Lake. Isn't it fun how they put a piece of fabric in this ornate frame?
I'm having such fun quilting this project! There are some feathers in the lime green below. THey are tiny and they were fun to quilt.
To give the block some separation I decided to outline the edge with a 1/2 inch border and then fill it with straight lines. I tried these lines both with and without the ruler. The ruler ones were straighter, but the free motion ones were more evenly spaced. Something to work on for sure.
Here's another detailed picture of that border as well as more feathers in the pink.
Here is the outline before I started stitching.
Come back next week to see the final quilting! I hope you get to quilt today! Suzy
Here's the second part of Clam Flower #7. If you look at the dark purple tulip shape below you can see that I went with a blanket stitch that was large and contrasted some with the flower piece. It allows both the flower and the stitching to sparkle. I chose to do this since the fabric was fairly plain, but just the color I wanted.
The back of the finished block.
And the block complete. After looking at it further I wish the two green I used for the leaves had slightly more contrast. But I still like it a lot.