Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Wish Upon a Star Blog Hop!

I am SEW excited to be a part of the Wish Upon a Star blog hop with Just Let me Quilt!  What quilter doesn't like stars?  I wanted to create something new for this hop and I was in the mood to paper piece so I designed this block in Electric Quilter and got to work.  I wanted it to appear 3 dimensional so I used two different shades of orange to create that effect.  I also like the way it appears to spin.



I started with three solids from Micheal Miller's Cotton Couture solids collection.  They are my absolute favorite solids as they feel like batiks (go figure...I love batiks!).  I paper pieced the sections of this block.  I'm quite happy with how they turned out.


I started by drawing the white lines you see above.  I then filled them with elongated pebbles.  I used a slightly lighter gray to make these pebbles stand out.


Next, I stitched the same pebbles in the spikes.


It was an interesting challenge as the space got smaller.  I ended up with curvy lines at the very tip.


Next I had to stitch the rest of the backgrounds.  I added some sprays of feathers in the corner.  Then I stippled the center, did swirls in the skinny strip between pebbles and repeated the stippling in the corners.  I did this quilting in a darker gray to let the bubbles stand out.  All of the thread used is my favorite Aurifil 50 weight.



This picture is more true to life in color.



And the final quilt!


Be sure to check out the other amazing quilters on the Wish Upon a Star blog hop!

May 21

May 22

May 23

May 24

May 25

I hope you get to quilt today!
Suzy

36 comments:

  1. WOW!! WOW!!! WOW!!!! This is stunning. I absolutely love this, I so want the pattern Suzy.. How'd you do this in EQ... maybe a lesson.. but everything about this block is absolutely amazing, from the outer workings, to the quilting, to the design.. I just LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is amazing. Our church group just started paper piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! Love the quilting! This is a gorgeous piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilting on your star...love all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great star! I love how it looks like its spinning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning! Your design is so unique, and the piecing and quilting are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Suzy: This is outstanding. I love your design and the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Suzy,
    WOW - this is gorgeous! I absolutely love the pebbles in the spikes - it really makes them stand out so well. All of your quilting looks great, and I never would have thought to draw the lines and then stitch between them with additional pebbles. I think you achieved your goal of making this look 3D and agree it does look very much like it is spinning. Great job! Happy Wednesday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing star, Suzy! I'm in awe at the gorgeous quilting and the star itself is a work of art. You really shined on this! Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful piece and for hopping with us. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!! This is a beautiful creation from the star to the last quilted stitch. Stellar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As usual, you knocked it out of the ball park with your fabulous quilting. One of these days...LOL! Just waiting for my lessons from you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great little quilt! Your quilting is awesome! Any chance of selling the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that is amazing. The design, the colors, and the quilting are all awesome. Wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my, that is just stunning! Love the way you have quilted it, it's amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG what patience and skill you have.

    ReplyDelete
  16. amazing quilting and a beautiful little quilt

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your design and the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The design of the quilt is well done, but it's the quilting that makes it perfect. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow!! How amazing is this, do have a tutorial, I would love to have a try. Your quilting is stunning ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a pretty star; just lovely to see a new design. Great quilting; the final quilt surely shines.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this! Your piercing and quilting are perfect. I need this pattern. I don't have any of the quilting software to create it myself. You did not do this on vacation did you?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh My!!! This is suberbly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very fancy.. I love the colors.You really put alot of thought into this.cool... happyness04431@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oustanding! The design of the star is amazing and then I am always in awe of anyone that can do over the moon quilting. Thanks for the beautiful work and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is just fabulous! I love the star, and your quilting is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the design and the quilting looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your quilting is fantastic!!! You've given it such thought and attention to detail. My goodness, you must have spent a lot of time quilting it. Lovely piece!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oooooh my gosh!! Gorgeous!! Such detail & creativity!! Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a creative piece of art. Incredible quilting. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  30. A beautiful spinning star with gorgeous quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! Love the vibrant colors, and your quilting totally rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gorgeous star! Awesome quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love your quilt and your quilting is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete